Monday, September 2, 2013

I've been stinged by the Stung bug

Now, if you've read Stung by Bethany Wiggins, this is not a good thing to have been stung by those genetically modified bees . . .

Anyway, all I have to say was that it was FABULOUS! Yes, yes, it was a futuristic-corrupt-government-only-teenagers-could-fix-the-problem-because-all-the-adults-are-selfish-stupid-idiots book like all of the other "Best Sellers" since the Hunger Games trilogy, but I actually liked it! There was no stupid love triangle.  (I hate love triangles.  What does that say about the main character?  That she's indecisive and she doesn't really love either one of them.)  Now, don't get me wrong, the so called "love triangle" in Hunger Games isn't a real love triangle.  Katniss doesn't really want to love anyone.  She's trying to suppress her feelings for Peeta and it turns out that Gale is a psychopathic maniac that just wants to kill everyone and he has no feelings and no heart.  When you really think about it, he loved her and she just thought of him as a friend, and he tried to convince her that she loved him.

Where was I?  I was reviewing Stung, not the Hunger Games!  Well, I give it four and a half stars, and only because it could have been longer and had more depth, but that's no reason to only have four stars. The only thing that didn't make any sense to me was in the beginning she runs into a militia camp.  They think she's a boy and she doesn't tell them any different because she's been warned not to.  There's a guy who's in charge of her and he kicks her and treats her badly, but it turns out they know each other from their past lives.  Then he starts to protect her and she goes along with it.  He doesn't even apologize for beating her.  Then they fall in love, which was pretty typical.  But, I don't know.  I still think the book was amazing. With the limited length (I read it in one day) it really does have natural progression.  The idea is so great, and I can't wait for the next one which comes out in 2014 I think.

You know what, this book really is amazing, no matter it's faults.  You want to know why?  Because I didn't put it down and say, "This is stupid," like I did with the Infernal Devices series from Cassandra Clare.  I'm sorry.  Those books are stupid, and I could write a-whole-freaking-nother blog post about why.  The Mortal Instruments was a good idea in the first book, and obviously I had to read the second book to make sure Jace and Clary weren't going to commit incest, but after the fourth book it started getting really dumb and really repetitive.  I'm not even going to watch the movie, and besides, Jace looks like a weirdo.

Point being: Read Stung by Bethany Wiggins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave me a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!